Tuesday, April 10, 2012

power in pain

It’s the painful testings that hold the possibility of powerful testimony — and every trial is but steps in your triumphant march. --Ann Voskamp

as i was reading this daily gift that comes in to my inbox every morning, i was struck between the eyes and in my heart by the above sentence.

painful testing

yes. there have been painful testings. how will i love? will i enable? will i keep my secret or will i share? will i hate God for what I have been through, blaming him for my inner suffering when many of the answers of comfort i was looking for were in front of me the entire time? will i blame myself for what has happened?

BLAME. this word haunts. it has been evident since the Fall in Genesis. it is a consistent thread woven through the history of humanity. there's always a reason, right? always someone or something to blame for the choices we make.

there's a reason that blame rhymes with shame.... blame brings it about.

SHAME. this word is a heavy burden. so many people carry it. Brian carried it. i carry it. i carry it for him a lot of the time. shame is what hinders the testimony from being powerful. the shame hinders the testimony from being heard. sigh.

powerful testimony

the possibilities of powerful testimony are there but shame can get in the way. it is a triumphant march for the greater purpose of a great God who loves me and who will receive all the glory in the evidence of him in my life.

lay down the shame that piggybacks on blame. give up the pain in exchange for the power of The One who heals and makes new. hold your head high and march triumphantly in the victory that God has already claimed.

this song comes to mind...

3 comments:

  1. This is true the shame can get in the way of lots of things I too have carried shame for things in the past. God WILL trade them all. I love that song. I had to share it. Have a great day love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past 1.5 years, there has been some deep pain in my life.
    And shame.
    Hurt.
    But most importantly healing.
    These have been the hardest days I have ever walked through.
    I heard this song when I was in the thickest part of it, and it has meant so much to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyPBtExE4W0&feature=related
    May God bless you as you continue to walk with Him in the midst of your pain.
    Love from,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete
  3. daphne,

    thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. may we be an encouragement to each other.

    greta,

    thank you for your thoughts, too. i have heard that song... in fact, we sing it in church often. i love it. [you did share a new artist though & i love their sound :) ]

    the Lord bless you both as you walk your healing journey...

    and remember -- shame is NOT of our Great God!

    heidi

    ReplyDelete