Sunday, January 17, 2010

God is challenging me

Today at church the message was about love referencing Ephesians 3. Afterward, I ran in to someone from 'the ol days' in the 2's & 3's room (her son is the same age as Ian) and she shared hard things with me. Boy, was I challenged. Our struggles have been similar though I have gone before. Really intense.

So how is this God's challenge? Basically this: will I be willing to be truly authentic about myself, my marriage and my journey in a face-to-face confrontation with someone who only knew Brian at his best?

This was the topic @ church today and here I am smack dab in the middle of that challenge for real.

Last week I spent some time with J&B and really shared from the depths of my heart about my feelings regarding Brian, his death and the pending results of the autopsy. It was really healing for me. After sharing these awkward thoughts and feelings that have been swirling in my head and heart, I felt so much lighter and my mind so clear.

Eleven years ago, I went to a conference where Larry Crabb spoke debuting his book Connecting. His theories about the role of the church (if the church was doing it's job, therapists, counselors and psychologists would not be necessary) came true that night for me. (I highly recommend this book - an excellent read). I wonder if I will be able to provide that safe space for this friend?

So, yes, God is challenging me....

No comments:

Post a Comment